Wednesday, June 12, 2013

To Buy or Not to Buy - Surface 2.0



I always liked the look of Microsoft Surface; I was excited when I saw the announcement and although the price point isn't the best, I was considering buying the Pro version.

However, after reading the various reviews and opinions from the online community, it seemed to me that consumer satisfaction wasn't so hot.  Particularly with the battery life of the devices.

I'm not one to follow the crowd usually so when I had the opportunity to get hands on with Microsoft Surface I was on it like a shot.

My take on the Surface is that it's a solid build quality, the screen size is ok, the weight is fine too, it feels comfortable in the hands, the responsiveness of Windows 8 running on it is great... and so on and so on.

So why didn't I buy one?  I hear you ask.  Well, it seems from every source that i've read or heard or seen, they ALL say the battery life is only good for 5 hours or so.  Ultra fail.
My iPad Mini lasts 8 hours at least no problem whatsoever, I charge it every couple of days.  I want a Windows 8 tab so much, I've been studying the market for ages (the Acer Iconia W700 was on my radar for a while), but it seems that these first gen Windows 8 tabs and hybrids just dont quite cut it.

I read that Microsoft is likely to introduce Haswell processors to the Surface successor, which will obviously fix my battery life worries whilst also kicking up the graphics power a notch.  Win.

Will they alter the design at all?  I'd love to see a more adjustable kickstand on the back, and I'd also like to see Microsoft just throw in the damn cases for free.

We'll have to wait to the end of the month to see what comes, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment