Monday, June 30, 2014

Nokia Lumia 1520 Review


Since Microsoft announced the Lumia 1520, and its awesome specs including a beautiful 1080p full-HD screen, I've wanted one.



Not only for the high specs and Windows Phone goodness (not that Windows Phone needs high specs really), but because i've never partaken in the 'phablet' movement (not quite a phone, not quite a tablet).  I can see the appeal of the phablet with the extra screen real-estate and chunkier battery for extended battery life, and so, I decided to pick up one of the Lumia 1520s.

So. First things first. This phone is a work of art; its absolutely beautiful. I got the white version with 32Gb memory, and I even added a 32Gb SD card to the equation as I figured I'd want plenty space for HD video on that stunning screen.

Despite the size of the 6" screen imposing it's presence on the phone, the phone itself is very slim and svelte, and certainly not too heavy.  I have quite big hands, and I can just about operate the phone with one hand, but realistically I used two hands more often than not. That said, typing on this phone is a joy and browsing the web on the awesome screen is fantastic.

I won't do a review of Windows Phone, but I will mention that even though the operating system is great in my opinion, they haven't really optimised it to take advantage of the phablet form factor. The OS is essentially just an enlarged version. But it still feels very slick like all other Windows Phone devices.  (I had the Windows Phone 8.1 preview installed too)

Speaker quality on the device is excellent, with speakers positioned well on the back at the top and bottom. Equally call quality was great, despite feeling a little weird with holding the device to my ear.

Camera bump
The camera. Ohhhh the camera. It's 20Mp, and is really really really really good. I recommend getting the Nokia Camera app (formally Pro Cam) for free from the store to customise the camera's picture output like a boss.  The camera just protrudes a little from the back of the phone, but not much, and it doesn't affect handling the device at all.  It takes stunning pictures, and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

this is a slim phone
This phone supports Qi Wireless Charging, and with the larger 3400mah battery, it take a while to fully charge (around 5 hours), but then the battery life for usage on this device was phenomenal. With heavy use of installing apps, browsing the web, listening to music, watching videos locally and on youTube, after a full day, battery was only down to 40% and that was pretty heavy usage. I bet you wouldn't need to charge every day if just light use.

Conclusions:
This is a beautiful phone. I love it...   But... for me, I just can't get used to the phablet form factor.  If I were to become more accepting of phablets, this is the one I would go for in a heartbeat.




No comments:

Post a Comment