Friday, April 18, 2014

Why I want a Windows Phone



When Windows Phone 7 initially came out in 2010, I was intrigued and loved the fresh take that Microsoft had on the mobile user interface.  Live tiles: awesome.  I got myself a Samsung Omnia 7, with a great 4-inch screen in a great form factor.

I enjoyed using it a lot, and I became something of an advocate for the platform.  So much so that when I had the chance to get a new Nokia Lumia 800 on first arriving in Singapore; I did just that.

I used, I enjoyed, I advocated... But slowly, I started to become disillusioned with Microsoft and Nokia on account of the lack of my favourite apps being ported to the platform.  Soooo I switched back to iPhone, and after realising iPhone screens are like postage stamps, I invested in a Nexus 5.  Don't get me wrong, Android 4.4 Kit-Kat is a great operating system, I like it a lot; the widgets especially. Google Now is also a great feature and I found myself talking to my Nexus 5 more than any other device before (without feeling weird).

So my main disgruntlement with my Nexus 5 is the battery life. It's really really bad. And Google have been promising a software based fix with 4.4.3. I hope it comes soon. And I won't be getting rid of my Nexus 5 only on account of the battery issues.

However. I've missed Windows Phone. And I've seen it develop into a solid mobile OS, and steadily gain a little market share and resign Blackberry to the bin.  Most major apps are now available for the platform, and they're being executed with high quality (in-keeping with the elegant OS UI).

On top of that, Nokia have slowly been refining their hardware year on year (I almost bought a Lumia 925).  Their most recent announcement of the Lumia 635 and 930 (global version of the Icon) in particular left me salivating.  A beautiful form, screen, and with it, a more customisable modern version of the Windows Phone operating system with smart features such as Wi-Fi Sense and the long needed Action Centre for quick access to settings and notifications.  The most encouraging thing here is that Microsoft appears to be listening to the consumer.

Google Now is good.  Siri is ok.  Cortana, appears to be a step above both of them, and even in it's current beta stage, is encouraging to me and presents what a digital assistant should be like.

So, enough ramble, the conclusion here is that I want a Lumia 930 in June. Heck, I'd even settle for a Lumia 635 as it looks like a great budget device!

When I get one, I'll post a review right on here, so please keep checking back!

Would love to hear your comments/experiences with Windows Phone/Android/iOS in the comments section below...




No comments:

Post a Comment