Friday, July 5, 2013

Windows 8.1 Blue - Kudos Microsoft


I have a really old Asus netbook that has had a version of every single operating system you could think of on it over the years, it's even had a teardown for a new hard drive when the old one snuffed it.  I have been running Windows 8 since it's first leaked Alpha versions and was reasonably pleased with the initial release (despite having to play with my registry to enable downscaling resolutions to run 'metro' apps.)

I downloaded the official Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft and did a clean install.

Install times were a reasonable 25 mins, and of course boot times are about 10 seconds from cold to the login screen.  Awesome.

The Metro Control Panel ("PC Settings") now has a lot more options to handle customisation and system information.  It feels more substantial, and it feels more complete.

The Start Screen is now more customisable with new bigger and smaller Live tile sizes, so tiles such as the weather can display more information and those apps that have no Live tile function can be squeezed in without taking up too much screen real-estate.  Well played again.  As well as the tile functions there's far more colour scheme options and patterned wallpapers that can be used along with an option to use the desktop app's wallpaper (my favourite way of linking the metro and desktop worlds thus far).  The customisations can now happen from the side menu bar meaning changes can be seen as theyre made; a much smarter way of doing things.  Microsoft seems to be listening, and listening well.



Another thing is the return of the Start button from the Desktop app.  Personally, I didn't care about this too much, and now it's back, it looks ok, but I couldve lived with or without it, didnt concern me at all.  But it's back.  Yay.




All in all, this is a great step forwards from Microsoft, and I really look forward to seeing the full release of this version later this year, perhaps alongside a Surface Pro 2 machine???  :-)   There are hundreds or little items that have been tweaked or changed to improve the User Experience and it's mainly for the good.  I'll keep using this as my main desktop and when Mavericks gets a full release I'll be getting a new Mac to test alongside a nice fresh Windows 8.1.  

2013 is an exciting year!




No comments:

Post a Comment